Homemade Chocolate Babka

This was homemade chocolate babka.

Chocolate babka has been on my wish list to bake since J and I really enjoyed New York's #1 chocolate babka from Breads Bakery in Fall 2014. I was so glad to have a chance to make the babka wish come true this holiday season! One of the reasons why it took me so long to make babka was there were two recipes I wanted to try: Breads Bakery's babka recipe that has been officially available online and a recipe from my Jerusalem cookbook that was also adapted by smitten kitchen. Filling of Breads Bakery's babka is Nutella and semisweet chocolate chips; Jerusalem babka is cocoa powder and dark chocolate. Breads Bakery's recipe makes three loafs; Jerusalem makes two. After deep consideration, I decided to adapt a recipe from Jerusalem and follow changes made by smitten kitchen because I like dark chocolate and smitten kitchen's advice for each step was very helpful for me, a babka beginner.
My change was using three large eggs and one egg yolk for three extra large eggs. I also used Bread Machine to knead dough instead of standing mixer. The dough was easy to handle. For filling, I used Valrhona 72% chocolate and premium Dutch cocoa powder "Droste." Great chocolate makes great chocolate baked goods. That's my theory. After spreading the filing, roll, roll, roll.
Trim both ends and cut in half.
Twist.
I didn't have a 9" x 4" loaf pan, so I used a 10" x 4" and a 9" x 5". Actual baking time was longer than the recipe told me. At the end both loaves were beautifully baked!
Brush homemade syrup all over each. The syrup had a hint of rum that was another change I made.
I baked the trimmed ends in muffin pan. They looked like cinnamon rolls.
Time to taste!
It was pretty good! J and I liked it very much! Much better than Green's. I liked orange zest that smitten kitchen's choice for the dough instead of lemon. The filling was wonderfully chocolaty. Not chalky or too bitter or sweet. Next time I may want to use natural-type cocoa powder instead of Droste to see how the flavor would change. Perhaps next time could be to try Breads Bakery's recipe. Either way, J will see more babka coming out from our oven this new year!

Popular Posts