Cherry Bottom Almond Cake


The cake was easy to make but gave me a deep thought about its name.

The recipe I found online and partially adopted was of cherry bakewell sponge pudding. Traditional bakewell pudding is "an English dessert consisting of a flaky pastry base with a layer of sieved jam and topped with a filling made of egg and almond paste," according to wiki. Bakewell "sponge" pudding sounds like a kind of spin-off from the original. Mine didn't have a layer of jam or frangipane (almond cream). I wasn't sure whether adding "bakewell" to the name of my creation was fair after all.

This could be a kind of cobbler although the cake part wasn't really like biscuit. There is a baked dessert called "dump cake" - a cake similar to a cobbler, made by dumping fruit or other filling into a pan and then dumping cake mix on top. That might be somewhat close, but I don't like the name because I didn't "dump" the cake layer. I gently carefully placed it. Perhaps it was an up-side-down cake that wasn't flipped after all, but the top had almond slices, so the cake wasn't meant to be flipped.

Anyway, I named mine Cherry bottom almond cake by borrowing an idea from black bottom cupcakes.

The bottom was homemade sweet cherry compote; the top was simple light almond cake and almond slices.






I was glad that the cherry bottom didn't make the sponge soggy or got dried out. Actually the cake needed a bit more moisture, so whipped cream was a perfect complement. I, a whipped cream lover, would add whipped cream no matter how moist/dry the cake was anyway.



The cake was lovely. If I make it again, I might reduce the portion of cake layer, though. A little much cake part compared with the cherry part. Balancing between the two parts better will be a focus in my next try.

Popular Posts