Gyoza


Gyoza is Japanese-style pork and cabbage dumplings. Gyoza is a popular dish and easy to make at home. I must have had not thousands but at least some hundreds of Gyoza since I was born. Recently I had a taste for Gyoza without any particular reason. I was able to get ingredients for filling such as ground pork, cabbage and scallion from a local Waitrose by their home delivery service but Waitrose didn't provide Gyoza wrappers. In fact, I don't know any place to sell Gyoza or Wonton wrappers in England. It was my first time to make Gyoza wrappers from scratch. I learned how to make wrappres online, which didn't seem complicated. Basically mix flour and hot water, knead the mixture and rest it for a while, and make little balls and roll them out into a flat round shape one by one. Well, my first batch was so soft, perhaps a little too much water. It was difficult to handle the dough and rolled wrappers were sticking together. It became a disaster. I made the second batch with less water. It was much manageable. I shaped Gyoza with wrappers and filling and pan-fried them.



The result was pretty good. Homemade wrappers were nice, actually nicer than I expected. Using store-bought wrappers would be easier but it's good to have such a homemade option.

Popular Posts