Kinpira Gobo

This was Kinpira Gobo, or sweet soy glazed burdock root and carrot.

My Japanese friend kindly gave us fresh burdock roots (Gobo) which is very common Japanese vegetables but hardly available here in the US unless you go to Asian/Japanese grocery stores. It was the first time for J to taste Gobo, so I wanted to fix Gobo in a traditional way - Kinpira Gobo. Sauteed Gobo and a few carrots with sesame oil and glazed with soy sauce, Mirin (sweet rice wine) and Sake. Sprinkled with toasted sesame. Easy! Kinpira Gobo can be made a little spicy with dried red chili pepper. I will do so next time. I like Gobo's earthy flavor and crunchy texture. Kinbira Gobo goes well with simple steamed rice. So I made rice and Miso soup with Tofu and Wakame seaweed.
This dinner was soooooo Japanese that my mother must be proud of me.

Popular Posts