Baltzersen's Semla


When I was placing an order on Baltzersen's Bakery online some weeks ago, these buns were listed on their website. They looked nice and I love anything with whipped cream, so I bought two without knowing what they were. They were so tasty and I wanted to try more. Since then, I was checking their website but sadly haven't seen the sweet buns. I just wandered what they were and checked their instagram. Aha! There was a post about the buns, saying "You see semla on sale all over Scandinavia around this time of year, they are a traditional pastry eaten around lent. It's a combination of a cardamom bun filled with toasted ground almonds, sugar and cream them topped with Chantilly." I searched about semla a little more. In Sweden, those cream buns were traditionally served for Shrove Tuesday (Fat Tuesday), which was February 16th this year. However, as they are so popular among the Swedish people, they are sometimes sold before Christmas and all the way through Lent. Lent this year will end on Saturday, April 3rd. Do I have a chance to meet the buns again? I hope so!

Popular Posts