Jerusalem Artichoke Soup


I have known of Jerusalem artichoke since I was in the States although I hadn't cooked (or eaten, I believe) them until this time. I remember I saw a recipe that called for Jerusalem artichoke years ago. I was curious but I didn't find them at a local grocery store. After moving to England, I have seen recipes with the mysterious vegetable, particularly during winter, and kept missing a chance to try them. Until this time! A recent Waitrose magazine featured Jerusalem artichoke, introducing some recipes with it. When I saw a recipe of Jerusalem artichoke soup, I added two bags of them to my next Waitrose online shopping delivery. They came to my kitchen later. It happened so easily.


Jerusalem artichoke, also called sunchoke or sunroot is native to central North America while those from Waitrose were grown in the UK. To make Jerusalem artichoke soup, I didn't follow Waitrose's recipe, though. I adapted one from Simply Recipes because it looked more flavorful with celery and garlic. In short, the soup was delicious! It was smooth and creamy but not starchy or stringy. By the way, Jerusalem artichoke looks like a ginger root but it's not a root but a tuber like a potato. I would love to make the soup again but I am not sure what J would say. It was naturally sweet, which I loved but J didn't like. I have to come up with a sort of a selling point for the delicious but sweet soup so that he says yes!

Popular Posts