Mainz

In the early July, we visited Mainz, a neighboring city across the Rhine. There was a place that I have been interested in seeing when I had a chance to visit Mainz. It was St. Stephan's Church. Once we arrived at Mainz, we directly walked to the church!



The inside of the church was filled with beautiful soft blue lights that were generated through the stained glass windows designed by Marc Chagall, a Russian-French artist who was said one of the most influential modernist artists of the 20th Century. I felt as if I were in the ocean. So calm and peaceful. I would like to visit and sit there for a while whenever I am in Mainz.



We also visited Der Dom zu Mainz, or Mainz Cathedral. The 1,000 years old church was built over more than 200 years and has been reconstructed due to several fires, wars and ages. Today it looked so huge and robust not to easily disappear.



Hungry? Lunch in the old city center!


We tried a traditional German restaurant, Stadthaus Schänke. 


It seems that the standard of German salad dressing is sour cream (I guess) based creamy one. I don't mind it if it's not heavily used although I would choose a simple vinegary dressing if any available.


I had Jägerschnitzel. It was pretty good! I don't remember what J had. Maybe the same dish?


The restaurant was cozy and the service was nice. Another nice pick, J!


The dessert for the lunch was ice cream! We stopped by at an Italian gelato shop. I had pistachio. Yum. J had banana (I think). 



On the day a kind of festival was held in the old city center. There were many food venders but we just finished a lunch and a dessert!

Popular Posts