Summer Berry Trifle

This was Summer Berry Trifle.

When I received the latest Cook's Illustrated issue, the recipe caught my eye. I have made trifle for Christmas a few times in the past. It's summer now which is the best season for berry and for chilled desserts. Why not trifle for summer?
Basically I followed the recipe but reduced sugar and replaced some with Splenda. Also used Cream Sherry modestly. My trifle glass was apparently smaller than the recipe. There wasn't enough space left to complete the second berry-custard-whipped cream layer. I pushed the first layer down and squeezed the second layer. Ok, this was the best I could do.
No matter how far it looked different from the Cooks Illustrated's version, it was a real showstopper! Sponge cake, custard cream, whipped cream, berries and cream sherry were magically melting together. We served this with J's French press coffee. Marvelous! Let's make Summer Berry Trifle our new summer tradition.

Popular Posts