Dijon, France 3 - Jonathan Pautet & more


Jonathan Pautet, a native of Rouvres-en-Plaine (a town near Dijon), chocolatier/pâtissier changed my idea of macarons. We passed by his shop in the early morning by chance and saw a man (Jonathan?) arranging chocolate trees inside of the window. Later of the day we came back there to see the progress. Chocolate forests and chocolate reindeer (?) welcomed us! Why not checked the shop out? Imagine the wonderful chocolate-y air in the shop!


I have never heard about Jonathan Pautet. According to a French news article, the young man trained and worked for the most famous names such as Marc Veyrat and Ladurée in Paris and opened the shop just about three years ago. His chocolate bonbons looked chic while what caught my eye was his selection of macarons. Macarons have been so popular and I have had some in the US. Somehow they were just too sweet and didn't captured my heart. Since then, I haven't paid attention to macarons. However, we were in France, the country well-known with beautiful and delightful pastries and desserts. Macarons are one of classic French sweets. I thought I should give a try. I chose a pistachio macaron. I didn't know that macarons could be amazingly so delicious! I wish I could try another flavor one or two...




The macaron was the highlight of the day for me but other activities we did on the day were also fun. We took a walk in Jardin Darcy, the town's first public garden in the morning and had a lovely croissant filled with cream and tea (a plain croissant and coffee for J) for breakfast at a cafe.




We visited a couple of museums and walked around the city more.



We had a lunch at Le Bistrot de L'Amiral. I had a poached cod (?) and veggies and J had creamy risotto with shrimp and chorizo. Mine was just ok. I don't know how J's was but his dish looked nice.



We did some shopping too. One of Dijon's specialities is gingerbread, or pain d’épices. We visited one of stores of The House of Mulot and Petitjean, the last house of master Dijon gingerbread makers. I believe they make and sell gingerbread through the year but I can easily associate the warm-spicy smell and taste with a winter holiday season. This trip was a perfect timing to come back to England some gingerbread.


And of course, we didn't forget Dijon mustard shopping! We bought some mustard at Edmond Fallot, an independent Burgundian family business making mustard at their own mill since 1840. They create more than 30 flavors! Which flavors did J choose? It will be another story.


To be continued...

Popular Posts