Lyon, France 3 - La Tête de Lard & more


On the next day, we tried another Bouchon, a Michelin Star chef Yoann Blan's La Tête de Lard (meaning “fathead” or “pig head”) for lunch. The chef focuses on traditional Lyonnesse dishes at the restaurant. So, it was a very typical Bouchon!


Apéritif was Grattons (small crispy bits of pork fatback deep-fried in oil) and Saucisson lyonnais. Yes, they were typical Bouchon Apéritif. Baguette was nicely chewy and tasty by the way.


For starters, I had Œufs en meurette, Poached eggs in a red wine sauce. J had Salade lyonnaise. Somehow we both had a porched egg(s). Both dishes were traditional and lovely.


J's main dish was a kind of kidney dish. He gave me a bit. I am usually not a big fan of kidney, but this was delicious with a very clean taste. I had a steak. Well, on the menu, almost of all dishes were prepared with some kinds of organs of pork/beef/chicken, which again I am not a big fan of. Perhaps, I am basically not suitable to Bouchon?! Anyway, J managed a dish without those things for me, which was a simple steak. It was a thin lean cut with tough fibers, which looked like a skirt steak. The steak was on creamy buttery sauce.



The steak was fine, but honestly my favorite was side dishes that came with our main dishes: Gratin dauphinois (creamy potato gratin) and a kind of ravioli dish. Both were so delicious!!



At that point, again we were totally stuffed. I thought I couldn't find any space for desserts. Then, when I saw their dessert menu, I found myself asking J to order a pear with caramel to share. Surprisingly I finished it up neatly.



When we left the restaurant, the place was lively with many guests enjoying a lunch and conversations over wine. What a wonderful weekday! We did lots on the day actually. We climbed up to the hill of Fourvière early morning and visited ancient Roman theaters: Theatre Gallo Romain and Odeon. It was a chilly but clear beautiful morning.



Then we climbed down to the Old Town and crossed a bridge to the Center of Lyon. We walked around the Center of Lyon and stopped by at Museum of Fine Arts of Lyon, Musee des Beaux-Arts, enjoying arts until the lunch time.




After the lunch, we decided to go to Lyon's largest park, Parc de la Tête d'Or, following a recommendation by a young man who was running a little coffee stand near the lunch place. We were glad to do so on the pretty day! The park was a bit far from the Center of Lyon but we tried to walk there. On our way, OH! my eye caught Bernachon, one of chocolate-pastry shops on my must-go list. The place was a heaven...






I tried a piece of chocolate with pistachio. Delightful! With the extra energy, we eventually arrived at the park. The park was peaceful. There was a large grass house that we enjoyed seeing various plants. There was also a large lake. We strolled around the lake, watching some cute waterbirds.





We also visited a contemporary museum near the park. Then, we walked back to the Old Town where we stayed in. In the Old Town, we relaxed at a cafe and had a cup of tea. I had a cheese cake too. It was Matcha cheese cake. Wow, Matcha flavor was real. I wouldn't be surprised if the cake were sold in Japan! I was so excited with the cake and the photo was out of focus. Or I was simply tired after all the activities of the day.


To be continued...

Popular Posts