Stuffed Romano Peppers

This was another success of our favorite cookbook Jerusalem! According to the recipe, it was Totam's mother Ruth's recipe. I have seen Romano peppers in M&S and Waitrose but haven't bought yet. They are long and bright red peppers. I was very happy to have a chance to try those peppers. They were supposed to be mild. However, when I was removing seeds, my eyes reacted something volatile and spicy... 

Stuffing was made with basmati rice, baharat spice mix, ground cardamon, olive oil, onion, ground lamb, fresh parsley, fresh dill, fresh cilantro and salt & pepper. Cilantro was a replacement of dried mint, which I didn't have in hand. I made Baharat (Lebanese spice mix) according to the cookbook. I didn't need to use all. I can use the rest for something else. Perhaps, oven-roasted chicken again?

I didn't have a pan large enough to hold eight pieces. It must be really a giant pan. I don't think it would be a common equipment for a normal household. I looked for an alternative in the kitchen and decided to use a 9 x 13 glass baking container. I push and squeezed eight pieces somehow in the container, covered the container with aluminum foil, and baked it in the oven. The original recipe cooked them in a pan with a tight lid on stove-top for an hour. I baked mine about for an hour and 15min at 175C in the oven. The result was wonderful! I was relieved that Romano peppers weren't spicy. They were sweet and kept a good shape and texture. The balance of meat and rice was very nice. Actually my ground lamb was 500g while the original recipe called for only 400g. I reduced some rice but I don't remember how much it was exactly. The stuffed peppers were supposed to be served warm, not hot, or at room temperature, but we enjoyed them while they were hot. They were very tasty in that way.

Popular Posts