Autumn in DC 2 - Japanese treats

I like the DC area because it provides various cuisines from around the world! During our stay there this time, we had a Greek dinner takeout, two kinds of Kielbasa from Polish market, three different dishes from Italian deli, and, of course, Japanese foods! When we drove around Rockville, we had a true Japanese lunch at Temari, an authentic Japanese restaurant. There isn't a Japanese restaurant with that level of the authenticity in Harrogate. The lunch time was so precious!


J had Cha-shu ramen with his usual appetizer, baked Shisyamo (little saltwater fish) . For me, it was very hard to choose just one meal. There were several dishes I would like, but I stuck to what I had enjoyed before - a broiled Saba (mackerel) lunch special that came with chilled fresh Tofu, salad, rice, Miso-soup and Daikon pickles. Yum! There is a Japanese grocery store called Maruichi right above the restaurant. I could easily spend a fortune there but I didn't. Considering about the luggage weight limit, I carefully chose some treats to take back to England with me. I also bought three Anpans, Japanese sweet rolls filled with red bean paste for my breakfast. There were four Anpans at the store. I tried not to be greedy to buy all. 



We also had a ramen lunch at JINYA in Reston another day. JINYA is a ramen bar, which I haven't heard about before. Apparently it's a chain restaurant operated by a Japanese chef/CEO/founder at more than 20 locations in the US. This place was more westernized and looked like selling ramen as something fancy. Yes, it was a bar after all. The menu focuses on drinks and small plates including tacos other than several ramen. 



There were several kinds of ramen. I had JINYA Tonkotsu Original 2010 - Pork broth: pork chashu, green onion, spinach, seasoned egg, nori dried seaweed, served with extra thick noodles. J tried Tonkotsu Spicy - Pork broth: pork Cha-shu, spicy bean sprouts, kikurage, green onion and spicy sauce, served with thick noodles. Mine was good although Cha-shu was too fatty to eat.


This was one of Anpans, my breakfast. The little round made me so happy. Ah, I should have bought up all four Anpans...

To be continued...

Popular Posts