First Eggplant Parmesan in England


J has been asking me for eggplant parmesan for a long time. Finally I made it! Of course, the tomato sauce was homemade, the eggplant was crispy, and the mozzarella cheese was baked until brown.



The pasta should be angel hair (Capellini) for perfection. I searched angel hair at local grocery stores. Perhaps angel hair pasta is not common in England. A local M&S didn't carry such a thin dried pasta. A local Waitrose carried Vermicelli. It looked as thin as angel hair although it was not in long-straight shape, which you can find anywhere in the US, but in a bird-nest-shape. I went back home with a pack of Vermicelli nests. Suggested cooking time was 5 to 6 minutes. It sounded a bit too long, so I set my cooking timer 3 minutes 30 seconds. When the timer rang, the nests were still tangling and some bunches of pasta were sticking each other. I tried to untangle them with tongs gently but the task was so difficult. 5 minutes have passed. I was still struggling with pasta. 6 minutes have already passed. I gave up and drained pasta. I hadn't said anything to J about the drama until J pointed out that the pasta was overcooked. Oh well.

Popular Posts