Lincoln, Lincolnshire 4 - Farmers' Market & more


The heart of Lincoln was clearly Lincoln Cathedral. The fact that one of the largest and finest Gothic style medieval buildings in Europe has been built and well-preserved in such a small countryside town is fascinating. The cathedral was absolutely marvelous.





Luckily we ran into farmers' market at the Cathedral Quarter, a square nesting between the cathedral and Lincoln Castle. We bought three kinds of Lincolnshire poacher cheese and a couple of loaf breads and fruit scones to take tastes of Lincoln home with us.




There were some tea rooms in the town. Bells' Tea and Coffee House has been good reviewed and people are talking about how delicious (and huge) their scones are. So, I asked J to pop into the tea room for tea break so that I could try their scone. In short, the scone didn't impress me. It was kinda dry and not so buttery. It wasn't warm enough either. The size was certainly enormous, which I only agreed with the reviews.



Actually we stopped by at another tea room a day before and took away a slice of classic Victoria Sponge Cake. The cake wasn't great either. I started thinking that Lincoln might be not a place for artisan sweet breads/pastries that inspire me. At the last minute, Vine's Bakery changed my thought! First of all I could tell that their baked goods would be delicious at a glance. We bought their beautiful danishes, a lovely fruit tart and a handsome Babka. I didn't expect to see Babka in Lincoln! I haven't seen one even in Harrogate.





We packed our backpacks with cheese and baked goods as well as a couple of local beer bottles. It was time to say bye-bye to Lincoln.

Popular Posts