Salts Village Bakery


When we visited Saltaire, a Victorian model village located in Shipley in West Yorkshire, we found Salts Village Bakery by chance. Some people were making a line in the small shop to buy their baked goods. Some items including savory pies at the window looked alright. We decided to try a couple of theirs - two of Jamaican pies and a whole blackberry and apple pie.


I reheated the Jamaican pies on the oven at home before serving. The crust was light and not greasy at all. The filling was curry-flavored beans and potatoes. The pie was nice, actually better than I thought.


The blackberry and apple pie surprised me again. Both the crust and the filling were pretty good, better than I expected. No-frills but simply tasty!



Why were we in Saltaire? I happened to find out that Saltaire was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2001. According to UNESCO, "Saltaire is a complete and well-preserved industrial village of the second half of the 19th century. Its textile mills, public buildings and workers' housing are built in a harmonious style of high architectural standards and the urban plan survives intact, giving a vivid impression of Victorian philanthropic paternalism." I also learned that the Salts Mill, the village's former textile mill has turned into an art gallery, shopping centre, and restaurant complex. So, I suggested J to go to the Mill, looking forward to seeing beautiful architectures and interesting works by local artists as well as checking the village out, perhaps finding a nice place for lunch...






Well, perhaps, my expectations were a bit too high. The inside of the Mill were open and neatly arranged their selling items - stationary, books, art supplies, antiques, contemporary kitchen items, outdoor clothings, etc. There were an expresso bar and a cafeteria. It was interesting to browse those things but I didn't find anything I wanted to buy. The outside of the Mill, I mean, the village didn't seem to offer many to see other than Salts Village Bakery. We tried to find a nice restaurant for lunch but we failed.


Anyway, now we know what Salts Mill/Village is like (photo courtesy of J)...

Popular Posts