Casarecce Pasta & Wild Mushrooms


When I was going to make a pasta dish with mushrooms, I asked J what kind of pasta he would like. He described the shape and I believed that it must be Casarecce, a kind of short pasta rolled and slightly twisted, originating in Sicily. We have had the particular pasta in the US sometimes, but perhaps not yet in England. First I went to Waitrose. I found lovely wild mushrooms there although they didn't have Casarecce. In fact, their pasta choice wasn't as broad as Wegmans in the US. Next I searched at Weetons. Nope. Their pasta selection was much smaller than Waitrose's. Then I checked at M&S. Yes! They had Casarecce! However, it was made from chickpea flour. I bought it anyway to make J's dream come true, well, in terms of pasta shape. Plus, chickpea pasta was new for us. Pasta with greater amounts of plant-based protein, fiber, iron and potassium than traditional pasta sounded like a smarter choice. In short, J didn't like it and couldn't finish his bowl. I understood that the texture wasn't as good as traditional pasta. After all the shopping efforts, it was a bit sad result but a good experience. Lessons learned: No more chickpea pasta no matter what kind shape it is!

Popular Posts