Traditional English Cakes from Avenue Bakery


A few weeks ago I had a nice opportunity to have some cakes from a local bakery, Avenue Bakery. I hadn't known the bakery until J recently found it as a food supplier who offers home delivery. We haven't been to the bakery. Although the bakery is located in Harrogate, it's in the area where we usually don't go. According to their website, they have been around since 1943 and still use a lot of the same traditional recipes today exactly as they were used when the bakery first opened. It sounds like a proper place to discover cakes that have been loved by locals.


When I was choosing items from the "small cake" section for home delivery, I found the task was difficult not only because their list was extensive but also because there were several items that I had no idea what they were. Their list didn't include any images, so I searched by each name to find out what it is. I guess English people don't have such a problem. At the end, I chose five items to try. One of them was a Bakewell tart. I have seen Bakewell tarts at a grocery store or bakery before, and had some knowledge about what it looks like and tastes like. Avenue Bakery's version was one covered with a top layer of fondant and a single glacé cherry, also known as "Cherry Bakewell." It was cakey and pretty sweet while it tasted fine actually. I still would like to go to Bakewell to get a real one, though.


Another one I chose was called "Best Fruit Slab." I have never heard of fruit slab. Based on my google research, it looked like a fruit cake. I was interested in how "best" the bakery's version would be. First of all, I was surprised at the size. I expected one slice or a couple of slices of fruit slab, but I received the whole loaf. The cake was heavily packed with raisins and currants along with some other dried fruits (cherry?). It was a pretty simple fruit cake without frills - something like a Christmas fruit cake without citrus peels, spices or liquor. I wonder the cake even contained butter.


"French Pastry 1/4" was a cake that I had no idea. The name didn't give me any clue. Google search engine draw various kinds of images, which only confused me. There was "French Pastry Full Round" on the bakery's list, so it's something round. The price was inexpensive. It wouldn't like a fancy pastry decorated with fresh fruits and/or fresh cream sold in France (or Japan), I guessed. Simply I was curious about what French Pastry was and how "French" it was. To find it out, I bought a quarter version. So, French Pastry 1/4 was a quarter of a large round flat cookie filled with raspberry jam. I think it was raspberry...  I still don't understand why it was called French Pastry. I wonder whether people here could easily imagine what French Pastry is...


I also chose an Avenue Rascals. It was obviously a cousin of Betty's famous fat rascals. I thought it was lighter and less sweet than Bettys. If I have to pick one, I would go with Bettys, though.


I also bought a couple of fruit scones. I thought they were also lighter, less sweet and much larger than Bettys while J thought the Avenue Bakery version was pretty much sweet. I enjoyed mine with strawberry jam and butter spread.



It was very enjoyable to find and try local cakes. There are more on the list that I shall try next time!

Popular Posts