Homemade Pho Ga


We used to go to a Vietnamese restaurant in the States once a while and J almost always ordered Pho Ga (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup). I have made something like Pho with pork as well as beef several years ago but not with chicken. Recently I happened to see a newsletter from Baltzersen's, a Scandinavian-influenced cafe in Harrogate about they were limited-offering pho inspired noodle soup with two topping options (crispy belly pork or glazed tofu) only on the weekend of the mid-January. That gave me an idea of homemade Pho Ga. I knew it would be nice on a cold day and J wouldn't say no. I found a recipe online that have received many good reviews and seemed feasible without using unfamiliar ingredients or equipment. I almost followed the recipe. I reduced the amount of salt even though the recipe strongly suggested the soup should be on a little salty side. I didn't include mint in the toppings. I thought Thai basil along with cilantro, scallion, and lime would be enough. I also didn't get Hoisin sauce or Sriracha since I have never seen Hoisin sauce served for Pho Ga before, and J doesn't usually like commercial Sriracha. I got fresh red chili for J instead. I don't need any spicy chili things in my bowl anyway. In short, the result was pretty good. It tasted like Pho. The soup was light and flavorful, chicken was tender, the noodle was cooked perfectly. Pho Ga has become a dish that we don't need to look for outside.

Popular Posts