Homemade Tosca Cake

We like Tosca cake from Baltzersen very much but the popular Scandinavian cafe in the town doesn't offer the cake always. Tosca cake, also called Toscakaka is a Swedish cake that is composed of a moist delicate sponge cake and a caramelized toasted almond layer on the top. Recently we visited Balzersen's shop in the town. When I saw muffin cups on the counter, which they use to sell individual Tosca cake, I was so excited and asked J to order one. However, the shop lady told us they weren't Tosca cake but something else (I was too shocked to remember the name she said). We came back home with some good treats but I missed Tosca cake. That event pushed me to make my own Tosca cake. There were several recipes available online. I adapted one that looked authentic and promising, and made some changes to fit all in my 8 inch cake pan as well as adjust the level of sweetness in my taste. 


Ta-da! My cake was beautifully baked. Somehow it had a belly button in the middle... 

In spite of the funny appearance, the cake tasted wonderful! The sponge was lovely moist and delicate indeed and the caramel almond toppings were crunchy chewy nutty. I won't miss Tosca cake anymore!

Popular Posts