Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes, Broccolini & Sausage


While I was looking for a kind of short pasta to add to our pantry, orecchiette caught my eye. I thought the pasta (means "little ears" in Italian) looked cute and would be a good change from our usual penne or macaroni. It is said that the origin of orecchiette is Apulia (or Puglia), a southern region forming the heel part of Italy's boot. I wondered what ingredients were traditionally cooked with orecchiette in the region. According to National Pasta Association as well as wiki, orecchiette are commonly serviced with meat like ham, pancetta, and meatballs; rapini (or broccoli rabe); ricotta, and/or capers with tomato, white wine or cream-based sauce. Well, it sounds like there is no specific rule. I checked what was waiting for me in the refrigerator and the result was orecchiette with cherry tomatoes, broccolini, and Lancashire sausages, tossed in white wine-based sauce and finished with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Probably it wasn't authentic but it was definitely pretty good!

Popular Posts