Homemade Choucroute Garnie à l'Alsacienne


My first homemade Choucroute Garnie à l'Alsacienne was pretty good! It's a classic Alsace dish that is made of sauerkraut and assorted meats, mainly pork, such as pork back ribs, ham hocks, bacons and sausages. They are often braised with duck fat, seasoned with juniper berries, bay leaves, and caraway seeds, and served with boiled potatoes. I saw a couple of recipes of Choucroute Garnie online, including one by Jacques Pépin, some weeks ago by chance. It reminded me of our trip to Strasbourg, France. J had the dish there and it looked hearty and very meaty. I thought it would be nice to recreate the memorable dish for J at home. I partially adapted those recipes and simplified both the ingredients and the steps. The result was tasty and satisfying very much. The dish was still meaty but not too much heavy like that at the restaurant in Strasbourg. J approved my version and I can make it again. Perhaps, once or twice a year would be ok for us to enjoy the hearty Alsace specialty?

Popular Posts