100% Whole Wheat Bread

This was 100% whole wheat bread.

My new purchase was King Arthur flour's white whole wheat flour. I thought playing whole wheat flour must be fun and healthier. The first creation was this sandwich bread. Many whole wheat bread recipes actually mix whole wheat and all-purpose flour, but the recipe I adapted  from King Arthur Flour's website was truly 100% whole wheat. The recipe was also egg-free, butter-free (by using peanut oil), and refined sugar-free (by using honey).
Whole wheat bread tends to be heavy and dry, so I added vital wheat gluten that help low-gluten or whole grain flour breads rise and stay risen. Although the recipe didn't call for vital wheat gluten, since I have it and haven't used it yet, why not? On the other hand, one of ingredients for the recipe was Baker's Special Dry Milk. Yes, I have it in hand too.
Both of the crust and the crumb were beautifully baked! The slices were nicely toasted too. The bread tasted great, earthy, yes, like whole wheat.
I often find whole wheat bread as bitter, but this one wasn't too bad. In fact, the recipe suggested if you taste whole wheat as somewhat bitter, substitute 1/4 cup of orange juice for 1/4 cup of the water in the recipe so that orange juice tones down whole wheat's tannic taste. That sounds very interesting. I would like to try the trick next time.

Popular Posts