Non-Fish Meals at Home in Japan

In addition to some fish meals, my mother kindly made delicious non-fish meals during my visit!

According to my requests, Kuri-gohan or steamed rice with chestnuts, Ton-shabu or boiled thin-sliced pork with salad, Sui-Gyoza or boiled pork dumplings.
Stir-fried pork, eggplant, garlic chives with Miso.
Oyako-Dombri or chicken and egg rice bowl simmered with soy-sauce based sweet savory sauce along with onion and Shiitake-mushroom, garnished with Mitsuba, or Japanese wild parsley.
Two kinds of Korokke, or Japanese deep-fried dish: traditional potato & beef and scallop & sea urchin flavored bechamel sauce.
Chikuzen-ni, or braised chicken, fried Tofu and vegetables like carrot, lotus roots, Konnyaku or yam jelly.
Tori-Dango or chicken dumpling soup with Nira or garlic chives.
Yu-Dofu or Tofu cooked in delicate soup made with Kombu or kelp seaweed, served with savory dipping sauce made with soy-sauce, Japanese citrus, scallions, and grated Daikon reddish (along with Tofu, my mother cooked vegetables like mushroom, Kikuna or edible chrysanthemum greens, Hakusai or chinese nappa cabbage).
Ton-jiru or Miso-soup with thin-sliced pork and vegetables and store-bought Makizushi and Inarizushi. I realized somehow almost always pork; never beef. That was my father's new diet trends. Well, I like Japanese pork; I wouldn't complain.
Simple steamed rice with savory dried Nori seaweed, Nori seaweed simmered in soy sauce and Mirin...
And more rice, more Miso-soup, more seaweed, steamed local black soy beans, etc.
I like my own cooking, but if I could eat my mother's cooking everyday, how wonderful it would be! What would my mother say???

Popular Posts