Tamale Pie, again

This was Tamale Pie, again!

I adapted the same recipe again and made some changes again. I halved the ingredients, skipped jalapeño peppers, added a little bit of J's dried red chili pepper, reduced ground meat, added a can of pinto beans, skipped corn and olives, replaced Monterey Jack cheese with cheddar cheese that I had in hand, didn't drain a can of diced tomato, and added some chicken stock because the filling looked very dry. For cornbread topping, I also did exactly like the last time - halved the amount of cornbread topping and replaced whole milk with a mixture of low-fat milk and low-fat yogurt. Strangely, The dough was somehow stiff, and I couldn't spread it out to cover all the surface, so I had to make more dough. I used Masa, a very fine corn flour, instead of cornmeal. I don't remember which I used last time. Maybe I did cornmeal. The difference made this problem, I supposed.
At the end, the pie was baked nicely!
Compared with the last time, it was obvious that the cornbread layer was thicker and chunkier, which was ok with us. The pie was delicious. We enjoyed it very much!

Popular Posts