Mushroom-Barley Soup

This was Mushroom-Barley Soup. And tomato-yellow pepper-spinach salad with dill-sesame dressing.

When I asked J about a dinner request, he said "mushroom-barley soup." That was something new to me and sounded lovely for another chilly day. Inspired by a recipe by The New York Times, my soup was tuned up with beef broth, onion, fresh thyme, and white wine. I didn't have dried porcini mushroom; I mixed two kinds of fresh mushrooms: shiitake and cremini.

In fact this was my first barley dish. I like barley but hadn't had a chance to cook it by myself. I picked up "Quick barley" at a grocery store, which was the only barley available in the store. I cooked barley separately. It took only 10 min. Yes, it was quick. And I stirred in the cooked barley to the mushroom soup.

I liked the output very much. It was earthy, hearty and somewhat silky. We enjoyed the soup three days in a row!

My Mushroom-Barley Soup
SERVES about 6 (6 bowls)

1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
2 carrot, chopped finely
8 oz cremini mushroom
4 oz shiitake mushroom, sliced
1 tbs fresh thyme, minced
1/2 cup white wine
3 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 bay leaf
1 cup Quick barley
salt and black pepper 

1. In a pan, heat olive oil over mid-low heat, cook onion and carrot until soften, add in mushrooms and thyme, cook until mushroom release moisture and start to brown.
2. Add wine, bring to boil, cook until most of wine is cooked off, add water and broth, bring to boil again, add bay leaf, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 min.
3. Uncover, simmer for another 20 min. Meanwhile, boil 2 cup water in a different pan, cook barley with a pinch of salt, covering, for 10 min. Transfer the cooked barley to the soup pan, mix thoroughly, adjust taste with salt and pepper.

Popular Posts