Something Trying to Be Fig Newtons

These were cookies trying to be something like fig newtons.

I adapted a recipe of homemade Fig Newtons from BraveTart, a blog by Stella Parks, one of Food & Wine Magazine's America's Best New Pastry Chefs 2012. I swapped 1/4 all-purpose flour with whole wheat and orange zest with lemon zest. I forgot to add 1/8 teaspoon salt in the dough. Also I used 3 oz Turkish figs with 3 oz black mission figs.

I thought I managed to roll the filling with the dough neatly and expected the output would be beautiful homemade fig newtons like Stalla's. I didn't know I should have the rolled dough flatted. So my cookies looked weird, giving no clue that they were supposed to mimic the America's popular cookies, fig newtons. 

J kindly said the taste was good. That was the most thing that I would like to know.

Popular Posts