Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

These were Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

I followed my mother' recipe with some changes like adding rice in the stuffing according to J's request. Cabbage rolls are popular in Japan, but I have never seen rice in the rolls. Rice in the stuffing seems common in Poland, where cabbage rolls "Golabki" is a traditional dish, and probably here in the US. First I felt rice in cabbage rolls was weird, and now accept it if the rice is not Japanese sticky Sushi rice. So I used American short rice this time.

Unlike normal hard cabbage, savoy cabbage leaves were large and soft, easy to roll. I cooked the cabbage rolls in a pressure cooker, which cut cooking time dramatically and kept the rolls' shape neatly. Then, my rolls are so delicious! Just like my mothers, except rice.

Popular Posts