Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma


I adapted a recipe for Oven-Roasted Chicken Shawarma by The New York Times that I found last month. According to the NYT, it's the top-reviewed chicken recipe in their cooking database. The recipe was easy  to follow. I also adapted a couple of reviewers' comments to the recipe, such as "Service with tortilla instead of pita" and "2 and 1/2 TBS olive oil is enough instead of 1/2 cup." I also used chicken breasts instead of thighs because boneless, skinless chicken thighs are not easily found in Germany. One of the toppings that the recipe suggested was fried eggplant. I am a big fan of eggplant. I picked some roasted, marinated eggplant up at a Turkish food vendor in the Wiesbaden farmer's market. The other toppings I prepared were tomato, cucumber, cilantro and feta. I marinated chicken breasts about 4 hours and oven-roasted them about 20 minutes. The Shawarma was delicious! It's on our list of meals for dinner now.

Popular Posts