Kruidkoekrepen

This was Kruidkoekrepen. So the package said.

It was a gift from my dear Dutch friend who was visiting DC. The name of the cake became my first Dutch word, actually three words -  Kruid is herb/spice, koek is cake, and repen is strips. Spice cake strips. Yes, the cake was pre-cut. The name makes a sense.
It was moist, a little gooey, and seasoned with warm spices (definitely cinnamon and clove) like ginger bread. My friend said the cake is not so sweet, but we thought it was pretty sweet, but not as sweet as most of American sweets. She told me it was her childhood stuck and she used to enjoy the cake with real butter. Unfortunately we didn't have real European cultured butter. We enjoyed with butter-flavored spread instead.
We liked the Dutch cake very much, great for breakfast. I wonder where I can buy the same kind of cake around here. Or, shall I try to make one by myself? It must be fun!

Popular Posts