Double Chocolate Moonshine Cake by Red Truck Bakery

This was Double Chocolate Moonshine cake by Red Truck Bakery in VA.

I found the bakery on Foodydirect while I was looking for a special mail-order chocolate dessert for our special occasion. In fact, the name of the bakery was somehow familiar to me. If my memory is correct, I read an article about the bakery in Saveur magazine several years ago, which featured grommet foods around the Shenandoah Valley area. This Moonshine cake looked like their signature product - "made with real local Virginia hooch: Virginia Lightning moonshine, double copper-pot-stilled 100 proof fresh corn whiskey from our, um, friends in the next county in Culpeper, Virginia," according to the bakery.
It sounded interesting. I have a tendency to fall in love with boozy sweets although I don't drink. The bakery offers various kinds of cake, which made me difficult to pick one, but I knew what I should order this time.
Perhaps because this was the Valentine's Day month, the cake was surrounded with red paper package fillings. How cute!
It was the time to try the cake. I served it with whipped cream.
Ok, first of all, I liked the texture of the cake - not too light; not too dense. Right level of moistness. The taste was fair enough - nice chocolate-y. Not so deep chocolate-y, but it was a type of chocolate flavor I like. Not sugary at all, which I appreciate very much. How about boozy-ness? I wasn't sure. There was something tasted like alcohol, but I didn't detect it as a flavor.
Next morning we had a slice for breakfast without whipped cream so that we could taste the cake itself better. Whisky chocolate cake for breakfast might sound rough. However, I still didn't identify a presence of whiskey clearly in the cake anyway, so the cake didn't bother the bright peaceful morning. J suggested lightly warming up the cake. What a wise idea! However, the whole cake was gone before we try J's idea. Oh-oh. The bottom line is the cake was just a lovely chocolate cake for me.

Popular Posts