King Arthur Flour's Ancient Grains Flour Blend

This was King Arthur Flour's ancient grains flour blend.

It's a new flour I started to use recently. It's made of 30% each amaranth, millet, and sorghum flours and 10% quinoa flour. 100% whole grain! It's supposed to "add protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals to your baked goods, not to mention a fantastically complex taste." It sounds great, isn't it?

KAF suggests that you can substitute some part of regular flour in the recipe, by swapping out a small amount (several tablespoons) or more, depending on how you like the result. This time I was making our usual simple French bread with sourdough starter. I replaced about 50 g of bread flour with ancient grains flour blend. It's very fine flour in darker color. Since it's gluten free, I sometimes add a couple of teaspoons of vital wheat gluten to make sure the bread properly rises. Just in case.
Ta-da!
With the little amount of ancient grains flour blend, I can't tell any dramatic change, but I feel my sourdough French loaf becomes a little more flavorful. Or, do I feel so because I know there is the flour blend in? Either it's a real effect or a trick to my mind, better is better. Now what to do with this bread?

To be continued...

Popular Posts