Boston Cream Pie, again

At the last time I made Boston Cream Pie, I almost reached my ultimate Boston Cream Pie. Based on the lessons learned, I was supposed to know what I could improve or change to achieve the best. Well, I tried. First, although one from the last time was great, I tested a different recipe that I found online this time. The result was great - delicate, fluffy, moist and tasty.
Second, I adapted the recipe for custard cream that I followed last time. I love the custard cream. I could directly eat it with spoon.
I made syrup with brandy and tapped generous syrup to keep the sponge very moist. By the way, I made the cake with 7 inch mold, instead of 8 inch.
Third, I made chocolate glaze in the same way as I did last time, which means that I didn't change the amount of ingredients even though the cake was smaller than last time. I simply thought more chocolate more wonderful. Perhaps, I didn't heat the cream mixture enough; the glaze didn't run and cover smoothly on the top. Well, J wouldn't mind of generous chocolate glaze. Definitely I wouldn't. At that point, I had no idea that I have just created a problem.     
After refrigeration for a couple of hours, the glaze and cream have been set.
It was time to serve! When I tried to slice the cake, I realized the thick chocolate top was quite hard although I managed to slice the cake neatly. Then, when we tried to cut a piece with a folk, "Oh-oh" happened. The top chocolate layer was hard while the sponge cake and cream were fluffy. My fork didn't go through the chocolate layer easily; meanwhile, the cream was pushed out between the squeezed sponge cakes. 
Lessons learned for next time: Make a thinner chocolate top layer. I liked both the sponge cake and cream. 7 inch was a proper size for two of us. Syrup with brandy went better than Kirschwasser. Again, I was close to my ultimate Boston Cream Pie. Hopefully, I could make it next time.

Popular Posts