Hot Cross Buns 2018

No matter how busy I was around Easter, there was one thing that I couldn't miss: making hot cross buns. This was the third year of homemade hot cross buns. I wasn't happy with the texture of last year's buns. This time I adapted a different recipe that I found online with some changes. I replaced 3/4 cup of dried currants with the mix of 1/2 cup of regular raisin and 1/2 cup of organic golden hunza raisins. I also added about 1/4 teaspoon of allspice and mace each along with cinnamon. Perhaps, the most major change was making crosses with the mixture of flour, water, Splenda and a hint of vanilla extra instead of icing sugar. The baked crosses had great advantages. Not only they looked beautiful but also they won't melt next day or get our hands sticky and messy. Moreover, we can avoid extra sugar consumption!
The texture of buns was wonderfully light, moist and fluffy. I felt that I finally found the right recipe of hot cross buns. The recipe's baking time was 20 minutes at 375F. I used the convection mode and baked 20 minutes. Some buns got a little bit too dark. Oops. Next time I should check the doneness 5 minutes before and/or should not use the convection mode. Also, the recipe didn't call for candied citrus peel, but with them, buns would taste more festive in my opinion. My ultimate hot cross buns could be realized next Easter.
Happy Easter!

Popular Posts