Karfiolleves (Paprika-Spiced Cauliflower Soup)

This was Paprika-spiced cauliflower soup, or Karfiolleves.

Eastern European cuisine is somewhere I would like to explore more. When I was looking for a recipe of Hungarian Nut and Poppy Seed Rolls, I found this Hungarian soup. It was very simple vegetable soup made with vegetable and vegetable stock. But there was something new for me - tiny dumplings called galuska. Following a recipe from Saveur, I made the dough with flour, butter and egg, and dropped 1/2 tea spoon size of dough into the simmering broth. They became light chewy buttery balls. For the soup, I made some changes to the recipe. I added one parsnip, reduced butter by 2 tablespoons, replace Hungarian hot paprika with Hungarian sweet paprika. The soup was very delightful, especially with the homemade dumplings. J enjoyed his bowl too. This soup is now officially on our winter dinner list.

Popular Posts