Ragù alla Bolognese with Homemade Fettuccine

This was Ragù alla Bolognese with homemade Fettuccine.

It was a simple meat sauce - onion, carrot, celery, ground beef, milk, red wine, crushed tomato, bay leaves, and J's fresh oregano. I tried to find meatloaf (beef/pork with/without veal) mix as many recipes say, but couldn't. So, just beef, which made the sauce nicely meaty. I didn't miss any other meat. I had never used milk, but adding milk white the sauce simmers seems traditional. I did and didn't see the effect. The results was great anyway; milk must have done a good job. I didn't know white wine was more traditional to Bolognese sauce. This meat sauce project was actually started with the initiative to use J's leftover red wine sitting on the kitchen counter for a while. So there was no option to try white wine here. Red wine make the sauce beautiful anyway.

For this special (more than 3 hour simmering) meat sauce, pasta should be special too. J and I made Fettuccine.
I don't know why but the pasta was very sticky. We struggled but managed at the end! Quickly boiled, our fresh pasta was smooth and tender. With a mountain of freshly grated Pecorino cheese, the pasta and sauce perfectly matched with each other.

Popular Posts