Cucina Al Volo's Smoked Paprika Pappardelle with Homemade Lamb/Beef Bolognese

This must have been our second time to have Cucina Al Volo's Smoked Paprika Pappardelle. I had an idea about what sauce we should pair the deep orange noodles with. Homemade lamb/beef Bolognese made with the leftover ground lamb and beef from the delicious Jerusalem beef/lamb meatballs.
I adapted Marcella Hazan's Bolognese sauce recipe and made changes here and there. I added more onion, celery and carrot. My meat choice was the combination of lamb (11oz) and beef (6 oz) instead of 3/4 pound of beef chuck that the recipe called for. I thought lamb would like garlic and herbs. I added two garlic cloves, minced as well as fresh thyme and a bay leaf. I used vermouth for white wine. For tomatoes, I used a can (28oz) of crushed tomatoes. For milk, I used low-fat instead of whole milk that I didn't have. After more than 3 hour simmering, the sauce looked wonderful.
It tasted wonderful, too. This time I tossed cooked pappardelle with butter according to Marcella Hazan's recipe although the recipe recommended spaghetti. I liked the butter trick, which was kept the pasta from sticking together and added a rich butter flavor. With a glass of pink champagne, I felt as if we were celebrating something.

Popular Posts