Japanese Sweets from Nagoya Prefecture

J and I were at Union Market for a quick shopping on our way back home after lunch in DC. Surprisingly there was a new Japanese sweet shop in the market. They were named "Matsukawaya," "a long-established Japanese confectionery founded in 1862." I have never heard the shop perhaps because they are based on Nagoya, where I am not familiar with. On the other hand, their items are traditional Japanese sweets. I could easily expect what they look/taste like. I picked two kinds of sweets: Monaka (airy rice puff filled with sweetened Azuki beans) and Manju (Japanese caky pastry) filled with milk-flavored "An".
Both were tasty! The lady at the store told me that the shop has been open as a pop-up store in the market since last summer. We have been to the market once or twice in the past year but somehow we must have missed them. They are very welcome in DC! I hope to see more traditional Japanese sweets here. 

Popular Posts