Baked Gammon with Mashed Sweet Potato & Braised Baby Brussels Sprouts


I have never heard or seen Gammon in the US. It looked like pork when I found a package of pre-seasoned, ready-to-bake Gammon at a local Waitrose store. At that time, I was looking for something meaty that would go well with the side dishes that I have already decided to cook - mashed sweet potato and braised baby brussels sprouts. The planning of the dinner started with sweet potato. We bought a beautiful giant sweet potato at a farmer's stand some days ago. Originally we were going to bake it on weekend, but it didn't happen. So, I decided to use it to make a side dish of a weekend dinner. I needed to pick up something green for another side and meaty for main. Baby brussels sprouts caught my eye. They were super cute. I added it in my basket. Then, I kept looking for meaty thing. I wanted to keep the dinner prep of the day simple. So, I hope to find something easily done in the oven. Fortunately I met Gammon.


According to wiki, "Gammon is the hind leg of pork after it has been cured by dry-salting or brining, which may or may not be smoked." I don't think my Gammon was smoked although I am not sure. Also wiki said "The term is mostly used in Britain, while other dialects of English largely make no distinction between gammon and ham." No wonder I thought Gammon tasted like ham. The Waitrose's Gammon was tasty. J liked it too. The Gammon came with wholegrain mustard sauce (glaze?) but we didn't use it because it was too sweet. Our Belgian mustard was fine with Gammon. My first Gammon experience went very well.

Popular Posts