Moroccan Lentil & Chickpea Soup


I wished that I could film J's face that he made when I told him that dinner of the day would be Moroccan lentil and chickpea soup. Classic Moroccan soup, Harira could include meat, but Cook's Illustrated's recipe that I followed didn't call for any meat. It wasn't vegetarian because I used chicken broth according to the recipe, though. Anyway, the result - a mountain of lentil and chickpea along with orzo didn't look attractive for J. That was only the beginning of the dinner. After all, he liked the soup very much. I liked it too. The dish was very flavorful. In fact, the result should not be called soup. I reduced some ingredients to make smaller portion and apparently I didn't add enough water/broth. Orzo absorbed almost all of the liquid in the pot. The soup turned into something that could be called stew.   


Many reviews of the recipe agreed the addition of harissa was a must. I looked for harissa at a local M&S store. There was only a kind of harissa - rose harissa was available. I wasn't sure if J would care about floral flavor, but I bought a jar anyway. He added a couple of spoons of the rose harissa in his Harira and liked its deep pepper flavor while he didn't taste any rose. I tasted the harissa a little bit. There was a hint of floral thing but it was too delicate to pop up. Now I need to think about another dish to use our new harissa.

Popular Posts