Gyudon (Japanese Beef Rice Bowl)


Gyudon, Japanese beef rice bowl is usually made with thinly sliced fatty beef. It's a simple dish. Cook beef with onion in soy sauce-based savory sauce and place the cooked beef on top of rice. With pickled ginger as a garnish, Gyudon is ready to be served!... if I can get thinly sliced fatty beef. Thinly sliced fatty beef and pork are often used in Japanese cooking and usually inexpensive, but I found out that they are not available in the UK like in the US. I went to a butcher in the town and asked fatty beef cut that should be tender and flavorful after simmering for a while. A man at the shop suggested Ribeye, which makes a sense. I bought a couple of ribeye steak and have them sliced. I asked for paper-thin cut. He said OK, but oh well, I guess it was the best I could get.


Anyway, Gyudon turned out very well. J liked it. I served the dish with Miso soup with Tofu and Shiitake mushroom. The reason I cooked Gyudon was for J to enjoy his Sake that he brought from Japan with his new Sake pot and cup that we bought in Tamba. The dinner reminded us of Japan's summer and delicious foods.

Popular Posts