Fresh Berry Gratins with Lemon Zabaglione


One of my findings here is English summer is a berry heaven! Various kinds of fresh berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. are available in a perfect condition. That reminded me of Cook's Illustrated's recipe for fresh berry gratins with lemon zabaglione. It was 2009 when I saw the recipe. I bought two individual glass gratin dishes at that time but somehow haven't found a chance to make it. The major reasons were that it was hard to get good quality multi-kinds berries (especially strawberries) where we lived in the States, and that baking the gratins as a dessert after dinner sounded a bit hustle after finishing dinner. 


Beautiful English berries encouraged me to go back to the recipe. It was easy to collect all ingredients from Waitrose, including four kinds of berries and a mini bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for lemon zabaglione. The timing wasn't actually an issue. I did some prep before dinner and it didn't take too long to complete the gratins after dinner. Well, maybe I hurried a bit. I didn't wait until sugar dissolves into zabaglione, which could have a reason why the sauce didn't get golden beautifully like the photo in the recipe. Anyway, the taste was delightful. After more than 10 years, my dream berry dessert became real in England!

Popular Posts