Buffalo Patty Melt on Homemade Pumpernickel Sourdough Bread

This was buffalo patty melt on homemade pumpernickel sourdough bread.

I know we made patty melt not so long time ago. We however wanted to repeat it again because it was so good! We had some issues with bread last time. I adapted a different rye bread recipe, called "Superb Rye Bread (Bread Machine)," that I found online. It was a simpler rye (pumpernickel) bread - no dill pickle juice, onion, or mustard. I used pumpernickel flour and replaced some flour and water with my sourdough unfed starter. My bread machine beeped when it had done, I opened the lid. My nightmare came back. The bread collapsed. Again! I suspect sourdough starter was a cause of the problem. The bread tasted ok, though. So, we proceeded our parry melt project with the collapsed bread, anyway.
We didn't want to give up patty melt because we bought a special cheese for that purpose at Union Market - a swiss cheese, Hornbacher. It was a gruyere-like cheese with a robust toasty nutty tone.
To make our patty melt more special, we also bought ground Buffalo at Union Market! I thought this time I made patty thin enough. Nope, I didn't. I kept forgetting how difficult flipping a mile-high patty melt sandwiches on the pan was.
The result? Fantastic! Although the cheese didn't melt dramatically like the last time, the sandwich was very tasty. Make it again? Of course! By then, I'll try to solve the rye/pumpernickel bread problem.

Popular Posts