Hungarian Nut & Poppy Seed Rolls

These were homemade Hungarian Nut and Poppy Seed Rolls.

I have been interested in poppy seed sweets that seems very popular and traditional in Eastern Europe. I bought a can of poppy seed filling last year and it was the time to use it! When I was looking for a recipe for poppy seed roll, I saw some pictures of poppy seed roll with nut roll. And I learned poppy seed roll is served with nut roll together in Hungary. Although I didn't find out the reason why poppy seed roll is paired with nut roll, I thought I should follow the tradition.

For dough, I adapted a recipe from Taste of Home. I halved the recipe but was able to make two big rolls. The dough was wonderful! For poppy seed filling, I mixed the filling from the can with vanilla extra, lemon zest and rum. For nut filling, I adapted a recipe from a lovely blog, the Hungarian Girl. I saw many recipes for nut fillings as well as poppy seed fillings with a lot of sugar, butter, egg, etc - sounded too heavy. This recipe didn't call for butter or egg and used honey. Perfect for me. Importantly the taste was great!
I must have rolled the dough too thin and sealed the end well enough. Sadly some fillings came out...
But overall I was happy with my first Hungarian nut and poppy seed rolls! They were so tasty! The next time (if any) I would like to make poppy seed filling from scratch.

Popular Posts