Teriyaki Chicken Don

This was Teriyaki Chicken "Don", or on rice.

I repeat I am not a big fan of chicken. But I wanted to use the two pieces of frozen chicken thighs which were leftover from, well, I think, Chicken Paprikash. It was four months ago but it was the last chicken dish I made according to this blog. So what can I do with the pieces? I thought some kind of Japanese chicken dishes may encourage me to like them. The first candidate in mind was Teriyaki Chicken.

I haven't meet good Teriyaki taste in the US. Too sweet and syrupy. I adapted a Japanese recipe that I found on Cookpad, the Japanese largest online recipe portal. More than 500 people have adapted the recipe, which was promising. The reason I picked the recipe was that makes the skin side of the chicken very crispy. Yes, it was true!
To make it more Japanese, I added Nori seaweed between rice and chicken - only for my bowl because I wasn't sure J liked the addition. But actually J couldn't escape seaweed temptation. I made Miso soup with Tofu and Wakame seaweed and I added some Wakame in J's cup too. Sorry J, Miso soup with only Tofu without Wakame didn't make sense for me. I totally enjoyed chicken in this way. That must be a Japanese culinary magic.

Popular Posts