Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas

This was Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas.

I found the recipe for this dish in Vegetarian Times magazine a little while ago and has kept it in my recipe file. When J said he would like black bean enchiladas for dinner, I knew which recipe I should try. Black bean tacos are one of our regular dinner menu, but I had not made black bean enchiladas. This recipe fills enchiladas with not just black bean but also sweet potatoes, which is a bonus. I LOVE sweet potato.   
The recipe was easy. I followed it almost precisely. I couldn't find 12 oz round queso fresco in the local grocery store, so I replaced it with 8 oz low-fat Mexican cheese mix. I also didn't have chipotle chile powder, so skipped it. Avocado for garnish was another item I skipped.
The recipe would make 16 enchiladas in 9 x 13 inch baking dish. I managed to squeeze 13 enchiladas in the dish. I couldn't figure out a trick to snuggle 16 pieces there. There was a lot of filling leftover too. It was more than to fill the missing 3 enchiladas. What should I do with it?
Anyway, the result was SUPERB! It was very satisfying vegetarian meal. It provided deep and hot pepper flavors. J wouldn't mind of having this dish again in the future, which tells me how this dish was successful.

Popular Posts