Blackberry & Cream Cheese Crumble Bars

This was blackberry and cream cheese crumble bar.

My goal was to rescue leftover cream cheese and sour cream. I have seen German crumble cake with sour cream and cherries. So I wanted to make something like that. At the local grocery store, I couldn't find good canned cherries. There were some for cherry pie filling, but with artificial color and heavy corn syrup. Nope. Then, I tried to find canned apricots so that my sweets would be like Austrian apricot crumble cake. Surprisingly no canned apricots either! Apricot market crisis? I hope not. Then, I went back home with a bag of frozen blackberries without a specific reason. I adapted a recipe for crust and another recipe for crumbles from my bookshelf with some changes like reducing sugar and butter, and made up cream cheese/sour cream layer.
They were good. J liked them. So did I. Yet I wished the blackberries gave more flavors. They were kinda weak. I wanted to find bright fruit sourness between sweeten cream cheese and crispy crumbles, which I looked for in sour cherries or apricots. Oh well, cherry and apricot season will be coming soon. I can make another crumble bars with real fresh fruits.

Popular Posts