Nikomi Ramen

This was Nikomi Ramen, or ramen simmered in savory "TonKotsu Shyouyu" (pork bone and soy sauce) soup.

I brought a commercial product of Nikomi ramen noodles and soup here from Japan. The ramen was specially made to keep al dente texture even after simmering for long time. Topping didn't come with the box. The box suggested sliced pork, cabbage, carrots, spinach, and mushrooms while in addition to those the cooking image of box showed chicken balls and Japanese leek.
My toppings were chicken balls that I made from scratch, oyster mushrooms, carrots, broccoli and scallions. The box contained two packages of noodles. A package was for two people. Really? It looked so small. I assumed it was because Japanese people eat this type of simmered ramen cooked with meats and vegetables in a big pot as a main dish and rice as a side dish. Does it make sense?
Since we won't have rice together, I cooked two packages of noodle, which were supposed to be for four people. In fact, we ate all. It was very tasty. The soup was a little salty for me, but J didn't mind it at all. He also liked the taste and texture of the ramen noodles. I hope we didn't eat too much.

Popular Posts