Black Bottom Cupcakes with Sour Cherry Preserves

This was black bottom cupcakes with sour cherry preserves.

I had cream cheese and sour cream leftovers to use up, thinking about what can be made with both. I happened to find a recipe of Black-Bottom Cupcakes online that calls for sour cream for moist chocolate cake as well as cream cheese for cheesecake filling. It sounded perfect. I halved the recipe. I replaced sugar for filling with Splenda and reduced the amount. I also replace sugar for cupcake batter with coconut sugar and reduced the amount. The recipe doesn't call for any egg for the batter, which I thought was interesting. I was curious how the cake would turn out while I mixed an egg yolk in the batter because the cheesecake filling required just egg white from an egg and an egg yolk needed to be used. Divide the batter into twelve.
And the cheesecake filling on the top of each.
Black bottom cupcakes, including the recipe, usually have mini chocolate chips in the cheesecake filling. However, I didn't use chips. Instead, I added a drop of American Spoon's sour cherry preserves on the top of the cheesecake filling and baked the cupcakes. Well, when I googled the terms of "cheesecake," "chocolate," "cherry," I saw many images of chocolate-cherry cherry cheesecake. So, I believed the combination of the three wasn't strange.
Also I didn't expect the combination turned J off. First he didn't think he had black-bottom cupcakes before, and simply didn't like my creation. Oh-oh. On the other hand, I liked them. When they were chilled, they got even better. The cake part was super moist and chocolate-y. Cheesecake filling was lovely. Honestly the cherry preserve wasn't really necessary. The preserve was a little sour, which wasn't really a good friend of the cheesecake filling or the chocolate cake. If I would add fruit jam on top, strawberry might have more suitable. That was my final conclusion based on sampling 11 cupcakes by myself.  


Popular Posts