Free-Form Summer Peach Tart

This was free-form summer peach tart.

Three locally grown peaches turned into the rustic fruit tart with a buttery crust. I adapted a recipe from Serious Eats because it seemed to make flaky dough easily just by hand without a food processor or a French technique in pastry making called fraisage, which Cook's Illustrated uses. In fact making dough was quick and easy. No tears, cracks, or dry spots in my dough!
The recipe called for tapioca starch that was supposed to "form a light, clear gel that's never too thick or gloppy." I didn't have tapioca starch but quick tapioca. I ground quick tapioca finely although it didn't become true fine powder. When tossing peaches with ground tapioca, I saw some dumpling-like ground tapioca masses on peaches. Oh-oh. I just hoped tapioca would melt smoothly during baking.
Well, apparently tapioca didn't, so the tart looked a little lumpy. Except the cosmetic problem, the tart looked gorgeous!
Whipped cream, anyone?
The tart tasted great after all. Peaches were lovely sweet. The curst was nice and didn't get soggy. The summer is getting close to the end. We'll miss summer peaches so much.

Popular Posts