Flourless Orange Almond Cake with Sweet Cherry Compote

I was looking for a recipe for a dessert that uses almond flour (I had a lot in hand) and doesn't call for a lot of butter or oil (go healthier!) or chocolate (I love it but we had tons recently). Simply Recipes, a great food website had a perfect one - flourless lemon almond cake. The ingredients were simple: almond flour, eggs, and sugar. Butter/oil-free! I reduced the amount of each ingredients, especially sugar, so that I could bake a cake in 8 inch pan instead of the original 9 inch. 
It was very easy to make the cake. Although the recipe called for two tablespoons of lemon zest, I replaced it with orange zest. During winter when I miss berries and stone fruits, I like to keep some oranges in refrigerator. I know orange and almond are good friends.
Instead of my usual whipped cream topping, I made sweet cherry compote with frozen cherries. I know almond and cherries are good friends, too!
The cake was lovely. Airy and slightly chewy, which reminded me of macarons. A hint of cardamon in the cake was pleasant. With cherry compote, the effortless cake looked elegant.

Popular Posts